Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hey everyone! Welcome to my second post at this soon-to-be-great blog!

So it's about 3pm back in the good ole Midwest, which means it's 5am here. Which means I am 1) still jet lagged or 2) being stupid. Actually the correct answer is 3) both. In terms of jet lag, I was actually doing better the first two days than I am now. How is this possible? Well there were other people over at Davy's house then, which meant that everyone was up late and it was easier for me to stay up. Now for some reason everyone is going to bed at 10 or something, so when I get tired but want to stay up, I just end up falling asleep without having taken a shower or brushed my teeth or anything. And then, not because I am smart (in fact it is stupid), I wake up early and get online, like I am now, and don't go back to bed because I still have to take a shower and brush my teeth, and that's kind of a pain. So woopdeedoo, I've been online for like 2 or 3 hours now, so I'm guessing I'll get pretty tired today. Will I be able to beat the trend and stay up tonight? Or even sleep ALL NIGHT without waking up? Only time will tell.... but I sort of doubt it.

For the past 2 days or so I've spent tons of time online looking up information on phones and rate plans here. Surprisingly it looks like I found a loophole in the Japanese system with Softbank, meaning I can get a super good deal (for being in Japan for only 4 months) on rates. More details to follow, since it'd be lame if I told you all now how cool it is and then found out I can't do it. I'm hoping to get a nice phone too, which will act as my new camera as well, so until then I'm mostly camera-less :( sorry! Pictures will come eventually, rest assured.

One last thing before I finally go shower and go back to sleep: I'm sort of undecided on what the tone of this blog should be. Should I keep it to mostly serious, thoughtful commentary on cultural differences and the oddities of the human race... or whatever? Or should there be some fun, simple, short, random posts once in a while? Or maybe having those silly posts water down the whole experience. What do you guys think?

5 comments:

Ryan said...

The same thing happened to me when we got back from Singapore. I was getting up at like 3am and going to bed at 8. You'll get over it by the time school starts. It took me about a week to get out of it, or at least get to a schedule that is at least mostly in sync with everyone else.

As for your blog, I'd like to hear everything really. Both the funny stuff and the serious commentary. They're both important, because I want to hear about you and Japan. Have a good day Andrew.

Chris said...

I've found that trying to keep a blog %100 serious is very straining, and a blog with no substance is very boring. Mix it up...keep your posts somewhat focused...imagine your audience as a group of hyperactive 8th graders.

Best of luck in Japan man!

JOHN said...

Hi Andrew,
You have those "man for all seasons" qualities son so why not use them all in your Japan blog? Let all your humorous and creative descriptions come out. We want to experience Tokyo from every possible viewpoint through your eyes and mind.
Mom and I will co-sign your loan Wed. I paid part of your tuition and will pay the rest this week. I'll also deposit money in your bank account.
Spend wisely, like that phone deal you hope to get.
We are all excited about this great experience you are starting. Super size and maximize it all.
I love you, Andrew,
DAD

Jess said...

butz! fellow study-abroader! hope youre over the jetlag by now... hows the weather over there? hot and sticky and hot like here? feel like your missing out on wheaton life yet? im usually too busy to think about it, but sometimes i guess i do. about your blog.. i realy think you should be 100% serious and nothing else. you better not even write about funny things or entertaining things, because i'm sure japan is ALL serious and no joke. that's all, ciao..

Gina Marie said...

Andrew,

I've found that what I put on my blog comes naturally. I intended it originally just to be a place where I told stories, not where I poured out my heart. It still tends to be that way, but I'm finding lately that it's been a place where I can vent a bit but also share more of my heart. Just be yourself and enjoy it.